Hello, everyone and welcome to this - the 49th edition of the Modern Woodworkers Association online discussion about all things woodworking. Today’s special guest is Jeremy Pickett of Pickett Furniture. Before we get to him, let me introduce our usual panel. I'm Tom Iovino of Tom's Workbench dot com, and I'll be your host for this program.
What’s in the shop?
- Arbortech TURBOPlane
- Quilt Rack Templates
- New Entertainment Center - Flooring as a top
- The Drunken Woodworker glass panel door video
Goings on in the MWA
- the MWA Google+ community broke 1000 members
- Sean’s section
- Jeremy Pickett
- I know you’ve been a professional furniture maker for many years, well before you struck out on your own. But, before you began your career, how’d you first get into woodworking.
- Learned woodworking working summers as a carpenter
- Design & Style
- Simplify appearance (not construction)
- 90% of the beauty is the wood we use
- Make it durable? Will it last 3 generations or 4?
- Customers use the furniture in his showroom as a starting point, then say what they want.
- last year 80% customer / 20% studio
- this year 50% / 50%
- Write a business plan
- a sales and marketing strategy
- sell yourself, sell yourself, sell yourself
- I think your shop is very cool. In the coming weeks we’ll figure out when we can do a full tour. In the mean time, tell people about your shop.
- A coworking space with 8 bench areas and each person sharing the equipment
- What are your thoughts on quality and production?
- This last year we started logging hours per project?
- How many hours did I spent with the client? Working on drawings?
- Came to realize a $2,700 piece cost $6,400 to make
- The Stereo Console
- Works with a custom audio engineer who makes custom audio
- The console was a pet project
- Episode 48
- Eric commented about recording guild meetings on video and how he agrees that it’s important to preserving the craft
- Shannon also agreed, though he brought up the point of dead space during live meetings. I think Shannon’s right. Videos from Guilds will gain much more traction if they have a little editing first.
- Matt Sosnowski asked about using veneers on MDF.
- Lawrence Wroten (midnightwoodworking.com) asked about building a cigar box and what type interior wood and what type of glue to use on veneers.
Next broadcast’s topic
If you’re missing us already, you can subscribe to the show on itunes. Just search for the Modern Woodworkers Association. Once you’re subscribed, you’ll be sure never to miss an exciting episode. While you’re in iTunes, please leave us a 5 star rating. It helps our rank so others can more easily find us.
If you want to find out more about the Modern Woodworkers Association, be sure to visit modernwoodworkersassociation.com, follow the MWA on twitter @MWA_National, like the MWA on Facebook or circle the 1000+ member Modern Woodworkers Association on Google+. While you’re there, join the MWA Google+ community for project sharing, discussion and loads of woodworking banter.