Sunday, February 12, 2012

With The MWA Community's Help, We're Gonna Rock FWW Live

I’m late in reminding everyone, but tickets to Fine Woodworking Live, August 2nd - 5th in New Paltz, NY have gone on sale. Though I don’t know how many have bought tickets yet (I have), the event is limited to 300 participants. Tickets for the conference are currently at $400 as the “early bird special offer”. There’s no indication as to when the early bird deal will end, but when it does tickets go to $450. I’d recommend you buy tickets as soon as you can.
A woodworking reception (typical).

The opening day, Thursday, August 2nd is a quite day with just registration and a welcome reception from 5:30 to 6:30. I think we’re going to change that.

After the welcome reception, we’re going to have an MWA get together. Hopefully it’ll be like the fantastic event Nik Brown pulled together at WIA11.
Woodworkers, talking wood (& Vic getting his groove on) at the
WIA11 Blogger Community Party Nik Brown organized.
Here’s where I need my fellow MWA member’s help:
  1. It’s been about 15 years since I was last in New Paltz. All I remember about the place is that nothing is shinny . . . except your future. Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend a bar/pub/restaurant for our Thursday night get together? Would anyone be willing to set it up?
  1. If our get together is anything like the evening activities at WIA, then we’ll be out late, and in no condition to drive. That’s why I’d like to suggest that we all stay in walking distance of the college and location of the get together. Based on a quick scan of Google hotel finder, the 87 Motel New Paltz seems like a decent choice, but it’s on the opposite side of the through-way (and it’s site says it’s not available those dates), so it might be a bad choice for walking. Again, if anyone is familiar with the area and can make a recommendation for us, it’d be appreciated.

Thanks for the help. Let’s have a discussion in the comments below. I’ll post again when there’s some consensus and a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment